Hinge Dating App Review
Hinge is an online dating app that was launched in 2011. Originally, the functioning of the dating app was similar to other available social dating apps. While Hinge enabled Facebook integration and displayed mutual friends, it only allowed matching you with connected people via the social network. This kind of approach in a great way resembled old school dating where a relationship is able to be forged courtesy of people setting up their friends on blind dates with singles known. Hinge believed that higher quality matches, promising a higher possibility of a relationship, can only be achieved through matching you with the people who you know or people knowing other persons you knew.
Re-Launch Of the Dating App
The approach adopted by Hinge led to the online dating app being accused of promoting a culture of hooking up. Therefore, in 2016, Hinge re-launched its dating app, informed by research they did. According to their research, they established that the swiping feature implemented by other dating sites such as Tinder encourages the maintenance of your single status.
The new format adopted by this online dating app is more focused on the creation of engaging profiles to reduce the behavior of users treating other Hinge members just like a playing card for left or right swiping. This newly adopted format enables a user to at a time focus only a small number of user profiles.
Hinge Sign Up
For you to get started with this dating app and verify your profile, you can either choose a mobile number or Facebook verification. Facebook profile verification is the most preferred sign up method since it serves to make things easier. You do not have to manually enter your details with Facebook verification since your information and photos are automatically uploaded. You should note that your Hinge account will not be visible through your Facebook account. It does only rely on the use of social network circles and this is achieved by connecting a user with Facebook friends of friends' connection.
This section enables you to view your suggested matches. If you happen to like what has been viewed, then you can tap the displayed heart icon. You can also then like/comment on a photo, profile section, or video. If your comment is replied to, then a connection is established enabling the possibility of starting a conversation.
If you are not interested, you can simply tap the icon X for the next potential match to be displayed.
Likes You Section
Through the Likes You section, you are presented with the perfect opportunity to match with another user that has expressed interest by commenting on your stories or photos. If you are interested in the user, simply reply to the comment or tap the blue button for matching.
Accessing Matches section enables you to access existing conversations.
The Matching Process of Hinge
The matching process of this dating app is able to get better the more you use the service. The more you use Hinge the better the matches. The app is able to review the liked user profiles for learning your tastes and preferences. You are then able to be supplied with other potentially interesting users or profiles. To show that you like a photo, you are required to click or tap the heart button and a conversation can also be started by adding a comment. A conversation between you and another user is private, the likes and comments can only be viewed by you and the other person.
Even though this is free to use a dating app, the free account only has limited features. And so, to access the complete set of Hinge features, you have to choose a premium plan. A subscription plan enables you to access and use features such as Hinge experts and set advanced preferences. The subscription options available for the Preferred Hinge Membership are:
- 1 month: $12.99 / month
- 3 months: $6.99 / month
- 6 months: $4.99 / month
Unlike other dating apps and sites, Hinge presents an opt-in service with o catch'. You will be asked to opt-in at the end of the trial period instead of being migrated automatically to a premium account. Moreover, there is no membership terms auto-renewal. In the Account Settings section, you can turn off auto-renewal and manage subscriptions. Payment is done via the Google Play store or the Apple iTunes and that depends on your particular device.
- You can sign up either through a phone number or Facebook verification.
- It is optional when it comes to last name inclusion and it is only shared with matched users.
- No more profile swiping. You are required to go through the profile of a user and comment or like elements of it for a conversation to be started.
- A free 3-month trial period for all users with no automatic renewals or opt-ins.
- Matches and conversations never expire.
- One of the most reputable and biggest online dating names in the form of Match Group owns a 51% stake on Hinge.
- It is for relationships, no hookups.
- Facebook data is used for matching a user with people having mutual friends while still being able to avoid awkward family and ex ties.
- Nice and simple layout.
- Easy to start conversations.
- Limited gender choices, only man and woman
- Daily suggested the number of profile matches is limited unless a user upgrades to a full membership. Free Hinge users are only to get about 10 likes a day and that is only possible if you are able to upload all the six photos. A user that has an incomplete profile is not able to send likes.
- Without a complete profile and full membership, you may only be able to access basic filter options like location, gender, height, religion, ethnicity, and age.
- Potential matches that you previously skipped will be displayed in the feed again in case you would like to reconsider and some find this annoying and frustrating.
- You have to manually set the preferences such as age, height, and distance yourself in the settings section.
In conclusion, it is estimated that about 90% of the users of Hinge are aged from 23 to 26 and are college educated. Therefore, if you prefer this particular demographic then you should give this dating app a try. Hinge is for serious daters and it does not require huge subscription fees.