In-Depth Review of the Senior Dating App: OurTime
If you're a person of 50+ years and looking for some company then before anything else, check out OurTime. Boasting over 8 million visitors per month, the site/app has really touched a formerly neglected demography. Keep on reading this in depth review to clearly grasp the whole concept of the dating app.
Released by People Media in 2011, OurTime is a niche dating site that focuses on people over 50. Unfortunately, this demography wasn't considered with enough seriousness before this app was published. Here, men and women who're somewhat advanced in body, and yet young at heart, can look for any kind of experience to share with another person. Whether to become pen pals or regular friends, go on romantic dates or participate in marital bonds - people can always find other people with same and similar interests. The interface and usability are kept appropriately friendly so that even the least tech-savvy can make the best use of it. You can provide as much, or as little, information about yourself as you wish and the program's algorithm will find matches for you accordingly. While to have the best chance of finding the right person (people) requires you to create a paid profile, you can also go for an unpaid, free version. We'll get into the profile types in detail later on.
As mentioned earlier, you an either have a paid or a free account. However, the free version has very limited usability. With a free account you can still view full profiles of other members, find your daily matches and "Flirt" (like Facebook's "Poke") with ones you like but other than that, you wouldn't have access to advanced, but basic, communication systems like sending messages and talking in chatroom. So the main features are mostly contained in the paid profile choice. These are:
- Simple to follow 4-step signup process.
- You can choose from an array of options to advance your chances of finding the right match like PromoteMe, virtual gifts and ConnectMe.
- Site's algorithm clearly organizes your interests, matches based on your interests, people who're interested in you and all your past interactions with anyone you've ever contacted or felt interested.
- Features a daily match platform that shows top 10 best matches of the day for you.
- The homepage offers a quick glance at the whole community where each member's very basic information (profile picture, name, age, location) is shown, along with the flirt and message options.
- The advanced "Search" option lets you find people by using filters like body type, photos, children, religion, ethnicity, zodiac sign and age.
- The "I'm Interested" method allows you to sift through a ready-made list of interesting people based on the preferences you've already provided.
- Various options to highlight your interest for someone over others'.
- "Message Ideas" in the Inbox section allows for a set of 4 questions that potential interested people may answer when they contact your for the first time.
- Activated notification methods that let you know when someone's sent you a message, favorited you or when a certain person is online.
- Chatroom window always shows who's available right now.
The difference between paid and free profiles is substantial. So if you're interested in following through the whole system with certain seriousness, it's best that you go for the paid version.
You can choose your paid account type from two available subscription options: Standard and Value. Their pricing systems are given below:
- 1 Month: $29.96
- 6 Months: $90.00 at $15.00/month
- 6 Months: $107.76 at $17.96/month
There are no substantial differences between Standard and Value subscription besides:
- Get a notification when your sent message is read.
- Your profile and messages get a different background color to make it stand out of the rest.
In addition to paying for a profile, you can also buy credits using real life money. Credits work like OurTime's personal currency and can be used to purchase virtual gifts and perks that facilitate visibility boosts. Credit tokens are available at the following rates:
- 25 Credits: $0.99 at $0.04/credit
- 110 Credits: $3.99 at $0.04/credit
- 280 Credits: $9.99 at $0.04/credit
Obviously, the more you pay the more you get but don't disregard practicality for gain's sake. Before you make a purchase, think how serious you actually are and if you really need it. The lengthier packages cost more but cost-effective over time. But it all depends on your personal budget and willingness to spend.
Pros And Cons
Now that we have the general facts, let's take an exact look at what's good and what's not so about this senior dating program.
- Huge array of options for multi-level interactions.
- Options like "Search" and "I'm Interested" allow you to browse through the entire database.
- Easy daily matchmaking.
- Various visibility boost options like PromoteMe, which places you on top of any search results (of other members') for the next 60 minutes upon purchase.
- Highlight options like Virtual Gifts allow your message(s) sent to other users stand out from the rest. This is quite handy since possibility is, people who you're interested in, also seem interesting to others and contact accordingly.
- Discretion methods like ConnectMe lets you communicate with people who you're interested in without exposing too much about yourself or giving away information you're not ready to give just yet, like your personal phone number. OurTime provides virtual contact numbers that use voice call to connect users who have the ConnectMe service activated.
- User-friendly for people who're good at expressing themselves as well as those who are not. The Profile Pro service is headed by a group of helpful professionals who collect the necessary information from you and finish preparing and editing your profile meticulously on your behalf.
- The site has no identity verification process.
- The huge range of "good stuff" can take some time to get used to for some users.
- The actual experience comes only after the payment.
Given the nature of the app and its users, some scammers might lurk to take advantage, after monetary fashion, of people who're trying to find good company. The possibility is low but still better to be cautious than being indifferent. At the end of the day, what really matters is your satisfaction, both practical and emotional. It's all the better if your romantic and friendly endeavors are best served by the professional support of OurTime.